Rt. Rev. Dr. Prasana Kumar Samuel
( Bishop in KCD )
CSI Diocesan Office
# 20, Third Cross, CSI Compound
BANGALORE 560 027, Karnataka.
Ph.No: 080-2222 3766 / 4941 / 2210 9653/54(O)
080-25584858( R )
Rt Rev Dr P K Samuel was born and brought up in Kolar Gold Fields, Karnataka, South India. Had his primary education in St Fathima School in Marikuppam, and went on to complete his high school in St Marys’ High School, Andersonpet, KGF, Karnataka.
Finished his degree from the First Grade College , Oorgaum KGF during 1976. Finished his theological studies from Union Biblical Seminary, Yavatmal, Maharashtra, India during 1981.
Philosophy and Objectives:
Rt Rev Dr P K Samuel’s academic training in college and in seminary provided him the basis for his Christian ministry. However it was his daily involvement with common people from diverse castes, classes, and sometimes even creeds, that moulded him as a servant of God and a channel for peace in a world of strife and discontent.
Experiences over the last 37 years as an ordained minister have convinced Rev. Samuel of people’s yearning to be nurtured in the discipline and the working of the spirit and equipped him to be an effective ‘messenger’ even as he commits himself to this process. He served as a Pastor in Abu Dhabi for four years on deputation from the Church of South India.
Professional Experience – Administrative
Rt Rev Dr P K Samuel has rich Executive experience in Church administration over 37 years and has served on the Diocesan Executive Committee three terms. The Diocesan Council, which meets in the Diocese biennially, elects the Executive Committee. All the 125 Churches constitute the Council, including its educational, medical and social welfare Institutions of the Diocese. The Executive Committee is the apex body of the Diocese. The decision of this Committee is final in all matters pertaining to Pastoral, administration, finance and property.
Served twice as the Diocesan Secretary, and has efficiently managed the administration including legal matters pertaining to the Diocese on behalf of the Church of South India Trust Association. (CSITA).
He has served Churches like St John’s, St Peter’s, St Luke’s, Divya Shanthi etc in Bangalore and served during the early 80s in St Paul’s, St Peter’s and St Mark’s in KGF.
Awarded an Honorary Doctorate in Ministry by University of Jerusalem for his contribution to the Church and society at large during 2015.
Awarded the best Christian service during November 2017 by the Faith Academy School, New Delhi.
Consecrated as the fourth Bishop of the Karnataka Central Diocese on 26th March 2015 at St Andrew’s Church, Bangalore, India.
As Bishop of the Diocese He is the spiritual and administrative head of the Church of South India, Karnataka Central Diocese spread over Tumkur, Bangalore South, Bangalore North and KGF revenue districts of Karnataka. He is appointed as the Bishop over 125 Churches, two medical Institutions, 22 educational Institution and 12 Boarding homes and Hostels.
Other Responsibilities held before the Bishopric:
Vice Chairman (1999-2001) of Bishop Cotton Girls High School, a premier institution, which has a history of over 150 years and whose students number over 4000.
Member of the Working Committee of Goodwill Girls High School, a 145-year-old premier Institution, which has over 2500 students.
Vice Chairperson of the Bangalore Chapter of Youth for Christ. Responsibilities included setting goals for the ministry for young people and recruiting leaders to work among College youth.
President of Integrated Development Action Society (IDAS) a voluntary agency that is involved in uplifting the economically poorer sections of society.
Programme Coordinator (2005) of the Karnataka Central Diocese. This involved in planning and execution of various programmes of the Diocese in co-ordination with the 22 Directors of the Diocese.
- Posted as Presbyter to CSI Christ Church, Abu Dhabi for four years from 2006 to 2010.
- Study tour sponsored by the Karnataka Christian Council on the invitation of the East Asia Christian Council, Visited Egypt, Israel, Jordan and Palestine (September 1992).
- The Annual Methodist Conference at Brighton, U.K., at which he represented the Church of South India Synod and the Executive Committee of the Karnataka Central Diocese (August 2001).
- Special Invitee to the Diocese in Gloucester, UK where bilateral relations between the Karnataka Central Diocese and the Diocese of Gloucester were cemented. (August 2001).
- Represented Karnataka Central Diocese at the enthronement of the first Lady Bishop in the Church of England at Gloucester, U K during September 2015.
- Special invitee to World Mission Council of the Church of Scotland during May 2016 held in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Visited Israel, Egypt and Jordan four times and recently with the Junior ministers of the Diocese during September 2016.
- Visited Russia with the Heads of Institutions on an educational tour during August 2016.
- On a pilgrimage with the Bishops of Church of South India to Vatican, Rome and Italy during September 2016.
- October 2017 visited Germany and Prague as part of Protestant Reformation tracing Martin Luther’s history.